Vintage Adventures

Howdy! I'm a crafty gal living in the Golden State of California; all about vintage clothes, swing dancing, knitting, cooking, books
and adventures!

Monday, March 19, 2012

{Post-op}

Well I had surgery 2 days ago and my gallbladder was removed.

I was able to come home yesterday afternoon.
The surgery was successful.. the surgeon removed my gallbladder and it did contain 2 stones.

I'm glad this happened.. if I hadn't decided to go in to the E.R. at 03.20 yesterday morning I wouldn't have known that I had gall stones at all.
I'd actually been having "gall attacks" for the past year, I just didn't know that was happening to me.
I thought I had GERD or was developing a food allergy or something.
It was always the same.. I'd wake up late at night or in the wee hours of the morning with severe upper abdominal pain.
Taking a hot bath would help but it would always return when I got out.
Sometimes it would make me vomit.

Well 2 nights ago around 12am I was awake with severe upper abdominal pain and couldn't stop vomiting.
Couldn't even keep water down, so I had Travis drive me to the hospital-ER 5 minutes down the road.
Arriving at 03.20am, it took about 2 1/2 hours for me to be seen.
Had to wait another 2 hours for the results of blood work and then have an abdominal ultrasound.
I got to see my inflamed gallbladder and the stones on the screen.

I was then taken to a room upstairs, put to bed and had to wait another 4 hours before talking with a surgeon about choliectomy (surgical removal of the gall bladder).
My surgery was scheduled for 16.00.
I was nervous.. but there really isn't any alternative.
It was weird being put to sleep.
I guess I developed hypothermia during the surgery.. I vaguely remember convulsing and shaking and chattering and being so cold upon waking up and the nurses wrapped me up in heaps of warmed blankets.

I've got 4 incisions in my belly.
They're mighty sore but I'll be okay!

We stopped at Whole Foods on the way home for canned soup, protein drinks and ice cream.
Travis has been cooking, cleaning, picking things up for me..
Really, who could ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment