Vintage Adventures

Howdy! I'm a crafty gal living in the Golden State of California; all about vintage clothes, swing dancing, knitting, cooking, books
and adventures!

Saturday, June 5, 2010

{Excavation expedition}

Yesterday we were in the forest behind our apartment building, looking for logs and stones to put in the snake's aquarium.
I was looking closely at a rock, and realized that there were seashell imprints in it!
1 1/2 hours later I had a small collection of rocks imprinted with shells, fossilized horn coral and even a piece of wasp nest coral!
http://louisvillefossils.blogspot.com is a wonderful resource.

I got up early today (not early enough) to look for more fossils.
It was so hot.. in the 80's.
The area I was looking in is this hill where half of it is eroded away, exposing many rocks.
I found many more shell imprints and horn coral.
I even saw 3 baby praying mantises!
I hope to find a trilobite fossil.. my mom found one when she was a child and she grew up in Columbus, Ohio.. which isn't too terribly far away from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment